Castletown House is a Georgian Manor built by the politician William “Speaker” Connolly, begun in 1721/22.
it is considered the earliest, largest and most important Palladian house in Ireland.
The print room was designed and created by Lady Louisa Connolly in the latter part of the 18th century.
The long gallery has 18th century Venetian chandeliers. The paintings were done by an artist using motifs from Pompeii.
The staircase dates from 1760 and is stunningly simple, composed of plain bronze doric columns.
The plasterwork was executed by the Lafranchini brothers, who also worked on Carton House and Russborough House in Ireland. The stucco work is in a light, elegant rococo style.
Lady Louisa Connolly is responsible for most of the interiors.
Alessandro Galilei is usually considered the architect of the facade, while the interior plan and wings are often attributed to Sir Edward Lovett Pearce.
The demesne is also famous for the Connolly Folly, built in the 1740s as part of a famine relief scheme. It is believed to have been designed by Sir Richard Cassells/ Castle.
The estate was rescued in the 20th century by Desmond Guiness.